Alma front covers

Inspired by the work of Edvard Munch, we have been designing front covers for our horror stories based on the short film ‘Alma’. What aspects of your front cover are you most proud of, and what could you do to improve it further?

Art exhibition recommendation

I  visited this exhibition, ‘Olafur Eliasson: In Real Life’, at the weekend and immediately thought that it was somethIng many of you would enjoy. It’s interactive, inspiring, informative and fun!

As well as some new pieces which have been created especially for this exhibition (which is on at Tate Modern), some of the exhibits relate to the time  the artist spent as a child in Iceland. There are some serious messages about global warming, which reminded me of some of the things that we have been discussing in class, whilst some of the exhibits give you an opportunity to experience new things. One of my family’s favourites is called ‘Din blinde passager’, because it gives you the opportunity to travel through a 39-metre-long corridor full of dense fog… it was really cool!

Le me know if you have already been to this exhibition, or if you have any exhibitions you would like to recommend, by adding a comment.

** Inspirational re-post alert **

I am re-posting this directly from Ospreys’ blog (with permission).

Use the above image to write a beautiful setting description.

What literary features do you think I would like to see in your piece?

I think the passage below, written by Ewen, is absolutely enchanting and I wondered how his writing might inspire you to write a beautiful setting description using this image.

The swaying willow trees cast shadows across the forest. The beautiful blooming bluebells coated the grassy fields like a intricate tapestry woven by nature. Shards of sunlight glinted off the morning dew, which had clung to the bright green grass. A calming breeze drifted peacefully through the trees, as a sparrow’s melodious voice pierced the silence of the calm summer day. Nearby, a muddy path snaked through the grass and further on, a stream meandered through the hills on the other side of the forest. The calming sounds of the water reached the ears of every creature around it. Overhead, the bright sun burnt down on the forest creatures. This was a land nobody had been able to reach before. It was paradise.

I look forward to reading your versions…

NSPCC Fundraiser

This afternoon, Owls had lots of fun participating in the mini-Olympics course that they had designed for our NSPCC fundraiser.  Mrs. Watson also made the most of the opportunity to sneak a little bit of Wham into the school day! Well, there was a disco station… 😉

P4C

Image result for rising sea levels climate sign

Following on from the discussions we have been having about rising sea levels  in class, here is the stimulus for our next P4C debate which one of you will facilitate.

Remember, the objective of Philosophy for Children is deep thinking, so you will need to make sure your question is an open one.

We will have a class vote to decide which question we want to discuss.

Countdown

Try your hand at solving one of our Countdown style number problems.  You can only use each number once, but can use any of the four operations.  Raffle ticket to the first 2 people to get within 1 of 453.

The lonely road

resource image

Using the image above, write a story about the old lady on the lonely road. Where has she come from? Where is she heading? What problems could she have encountered along the way? Remember, try to impress me by selecting your choice of vocabulary and literary devices with care.