Maths: True or False?

Explain for 2 house points! 🙂

This entry was posted in maths. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Maths: True or False?

1. Misha Khoteev says:

I think it is false because if the number is 9999 for example, then it is rounding UP to the nearest thousand and it will be 10,000 and we can not have a ten in the thousands column so the one will go to the ten-thousands column so it will be a 5-digit number.

2. Aika says:

False, because you can round 9,999 to the nearest thousand and it would be 10,000 which is a 5-digit number and not a 4-digit number.

3. zahraa says:

False if you have a number 9789 rounded to the nearest
    1000 is 10,000 which is a five-digit number proves it is false.

4. Ben says:

I agree with Misha and Aika, because 9900 rounded to the.nearest thousand is ten thousand, and ten thousand is a five digit number, so it is incorrect. It is similar to another true or false question; every time you add one to a number, only the digit in the ones column changes, which is false. I remember having that question in Year 3!

5. Iasna says:

This is false. I checked by doing 9,999, which is the highest 4-digit number, rounded to the nearest thousand. The answer is 10,000, and that is a 5-digit number. Anything from 9,500 to 9,999 rounds upo 10,000. this is because when you round to the nearest thousand, you look at the hundreds column. If the digit there is 5 or more you round up.

6. Leti says:

False, a 4 digit number when rounded to the nearest thousand can also be a 10,000 digit number when rounded to 1,000. For example 8878 rounded to the nearest thousand is 10,000. There for a 4 digit number when rounded to the nearest 1,000 doesn’t always have to be 4 digits.

7. Leti says:

I meant 9878