Animal Portraiture

As part of our topic work on Survival, we looked at endangered animals and aimed to capture them through portraiture. Having completed a unit of work on human portraiture in the Autumn term, we aimed to transfer and build on the skills learned on line, shape and proportion. This was a more challenging brief as sketching fur was more challenging than hair. Finding the correct scale also provided a challenge, as was blending accurately to create depth and shadow. We used sketching pencils and graphite on cartridge paper.

Click on the art for a larger image.

This entry was posted in art. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Animal Portraiture

1. Mr Woolton says:

I just wanted to say these pieces of art work are amazing. They look great when going up the stairs.

Well done everyone

• aburns says:

Thank you Mr Woolton, the children worked incredibly hard on them with multiple studies and preparatory pieces in advance of the finished artworks. I agree that they look great. Well done guys!

2. Tyler says:

Can someone give me on feedback on mine please?

3. Catherine says:

I had lots of fun sketching these endangered animals, but it was difficult!

• aburns says:

You were very resilient during this unit of work Catherine and have continued to push yourself in your art which I’m really proud of. I can see good progress in your art so please continue to work hard and you will see the results of your labour!

4. Sasha says:

I thought that it was really fun sketching out our animals! We did a lot of practices and in the end, it turned out really well!

5. Ansaar says:

This was a really fun art lesson but took a long time.It was worth it though!

6. Phoebe says:

It was really fun! If I could do mine again I would try and make my eyes less rounder and I would try to blend all the pencil in better than I did.

7. Amy :D says:

These all look amazing, but Imani’s and Yire’s really caught my eye! The detail of the animals and shading looks amazing.
    My stars would be the shape and the shading. my whish would be to add more to the eye. But everyone’s drawing looked great!!

8. Louie says:

I have the Panda is there anything that I can improve on?