Isolation Baking!

Thank you again Ethan for sending in your Banana Cake Recipe!

Follow my baking journey below:

Getting my ingredients sorted (I didn’t have all the items in Ethan’s recipe but I used my growth mindset/problem solving skills and compromised.)

Baking is fundamentally a science so we must have the correct measuring equipment. I used my digital scales and a precise measuring jug.

Checking Ethan’s recipe on my laptop.

I couldn’t resist sticking my (clean) finger into the mixture for a taste!

I didn’t have any baking parchment so I used tin-foil instead. We know from our Skills-Builders lessons that there are often multiple solutions to a problem.

I was super nervous while my cake was in the oven. I didn’t want a soggy bottom!

Yay! It did rise! (I was worried that it wouldn’t fully rise as I only had plain flour and not self-raising flour like Ethan recommended in his instructions.) You may notice that I left it in the oven for just a fraction too long as it is a little darker than it should be.

I decided to mask this by covering it with drizzle!

The best part was tasting the finished product! I can confirm that it was really delicious!

Thank you for the recipe Ethan. Your instructions were very clear, well written and easy to follow. 

As with all D&T projects, I evaluated my outcome when finished. I feel that I followed Ethan’s instructions well and was very careful in measuring my ingredients. Although I was proud of my problem solving skills, in the future I would be more prepared and purchase the correct ingredients in advance. I feel that the texture of the cake would be lighter if I had used self-raising flour or more baking powder.  I would definitely leave it in the oven for a few minutes less.

Have you guys been applying your D&T skills at home and incorporating your maths and science skills to help you to succeed? Let me know in the comments. 

This entry was posted in design & technology, growth mindset, home learning, News, science, writing. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Isolation Baking!

1. Ewen :) says:

It looks really delicious!

2. Catherine says:

I made carrot cake with my mum and we’re going to make another cake today for my dad’s birthday (28th April) and my brother’s birthday (27th April).

3. Grace says:

I made a pesto pasta last night and made chocolate chip cookie yesterday morning. The Banana cake looks delicious. Can you post the recipe on the blog?

• aburns says:

There is a link to Ethan’s recipe in the original post.
      If you follow it, please send in pics and an evaluation of your baking journey!

4. Mr Woolton says:

Good work, Mr. Burns.
    We know what you will be taking into the staff room, when we all return.
    And well done, Ethan, for writing such a good set of instructions to follow (well, almost followed!)

5. aburns says:

House points to Ewen, Catherine & Grace for blog engagement!

6. Phoebe says:

So far we have made a Victory Sponge, cupcakes and chocolate fridge biscuits.