Hydrogen power may be a ‘powerful’ solution for reducing our impact on global warming

picture from Berkeley Lab News Centre

Hydrogen has been called the ‘energy source of the future’.   It is very versatile and can be used as a clean source of energy for electricity, heating, transport and industry.   As a source of energy, It is fantastic in that it produces no carbon dioxide (CO2) when burnt for energy – only water and heat!   When I first discovered this, I was awe-struck.

What are we waiting for?  Well, actually, nothing.  A lot of research is being done at the moment into converting the natural gas supply to our appliances, for example our cookers and boilers at home, into a gas supply of hydrogen mixed with natural gas.  Eventually, hydrogen-only appliances could be the requirement for new equipment sold to us.

If you are looking at ways to help reduce your impact on global warming and your ‘carbon footprint’, let us know!  Write a comment responding to this post.  Give us some ‘handy hints’ and ideas!

To find out more about this topic, there are a couple of links, below.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/energy/hydrogen-fuel-future.htm

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jan/20/hydrogen-cars-hugo-spowers-future   

7 thoughts on “Hydrogen power may be a ‘powerful’ solution for reducing our impact on global warming

1. This is really interesting, Mrs. Sheridan. I read somewhere that hydrogen can be stored in pressurised containers, meaning you could store energy supplies for the future. You can’t do this with electricity! I know a lot of our gas is piped from source many, many miles under the ground.

Would it mean we wouldn’t need roadworks in the future to dig up gas pipes, like we currently have in South Wimbledon?

1. I hadn’t realised that you could store hydrogen for the future. Interesting! Wouldn’t it be great if it could have that further knock on effect of not causing pollution and stress through fewer roadworks too!

2. I do often feel guilty when I think of my own carbon footprint.
    I am trying to use taxis/ubers less and plan my journeys to use much more public transport.

Mr Burns

1. Snap! I too have a target – to be fit enough to start to cycle to work in the Summer term. We all have to make our own ‘baby steps’ I think to reach a united world goal!

2. I have also started to walk to school more – especially after watching cute animal videos!

Also, I have noticed that we had lots of endangered animals to choose from in our WWF day. Despite the fact that we have lots of choices, in the other hand, it is sad to know that an incredible amount of animals have become endangered in the past year or two.